Author Topic: My tips to successful watercolours  (Read 113 times)

Offline Diane Charlebois

Re: My tips to successful watercolours
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 10:30:41 AM »
Thank you Rachel- most helpful.  Question: how do you do a large evening sky and then do a couple of oversized stars without going over the stars first?

Offline Nancy Burke

Re: My tips to successful watercolours
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2017, 06:06:18 PM »
The proof is 'in your doing' Rachel.  Thanks so very much for all the tips and suggestions you so generously endow me with and which I sincerely appreciate.

Offline Rachel MacDonald

My tips to successful watercolours
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2017, 01:42:46 PM »
I am convinced that the most important technique tip to successful watercolours is as follows: a multitude of many little tricks. First you must use ' good ' watercolour paper and paints. Without the tools there is no hope of beautiful outcomes. I prefer Arches 140 and 300 lb. paper Cold press . If you are a serious botanical artist you will use hot press. Windsor Newton, and Daniel Smith paints are my favourites.

Most important watercolour tip is : putting enough water on your paper . If you are painting a large sky for example , use a 1-2 inch square brush and saturate your paper working horizontally and vertically until it glistens . The next step is mixing your paint ( think of your paint / water ratio as watery, milky or soft butter ) When your paper has changed to a satin looking wetness it is time to drop in the paint. Depending on the liquidity of your paint the colour should gradually spread and can be controlled some by tipping your paper . If you drop in a different colour across from the first ,it also will spread and the two colours may merge creating a beautiful different shade , with no brush strokes visible.

Watercolour is not as difficult as people say it is. It just takes practise. The tips I have explained are difficult to teach. You need to learn by doing. I'm happy to help anyone who may be frustrated with the medium.

Keep painting,
Rachel MacDonald